Monday, August 13, 2012

A new school year!

Another school year has started here at the Washburn household. After much thought and many prayers we have decided to take more of a Charlotte Mason approach this year. 

Every Monday morning we start out with a nature walk. 
I pack a bag full of all the "essentials" for making the most of our trip.
Our kit includes:

~nature journals for each of the children
~magnifying glasses
~a set of colored pencils for each child
~ a "keepsake" box to keep found treasures in
~ a bug house
~field guides

I thought I'd share some photos from our latest outing.

P.S. I know it has been a LOOOOONG time since I blogged. Sorry about that. This mama has been busy. 



Carmen said...

I resonate with so many of her thoughts/ideas. Keep posting...I'd love to read more about how your school year plays out!

Tenessa said...

Beautiful! You inspire me!

Vicki said...

I love your hands-on approach to education. Your children are going to have stories to tell of their mornings at the Flint and their bags of "science tools."
I hope your school year goes well and the children get back into it with a bang!

Mountain Home Quilts said...

What wonderful pictures! Praying that your school year is a wonderful success with CM!

Oil and Wine Ministries said...

Hello Amanda,

I found you through John's video on making your farm table. I am a woodworker and watch quite a few such videos. I love the table!

I am also a Christian. I am assuming, from your dress and John's beard, that you are Mennonite? I'm pretty sure you are not Amish since John uses power tools and drives a truck.

That being said, I am interested in your faith and wondered if your wouldn't mind sharing it with me? Either you or John? I am not attempting to convert you, as I am somewhat confident that we share the main tenants of biblical doctrine (i.e. the sufficiency of Christ's Atonement for our salvation.)

So, if you are amenable, my email is

With deep respect and brotherly love,

Phil Debenham